Daubeny House

Daubeny_HouseThe Daubeny Almshouse was founded in 1808 by Charles Daubeny. It is situated on Southwick Road, North Bradley facing the Common. Archdeacon Charles Daubeny was born in 1745 and died in 1827. He was the second son of George Daubeny. Charles was educated at Winchester and became head boy at eighteen and in due course becoming a Fellow. He was made a Deacon in 1773 and was inducted to the College living of North Bradley.

North Bradley at that time was in a state of neglect and he set about his pastoral duties with vigour by restoring the church and rebuilding the Vicarage from his own money and raised the living to £180 per annum. His rigid orthodox principles and dislike of dissidence made him unpopular for a time. In 1784 he was made Prebendary of the Minor Pars Altaris in Salisbury Cathedral and in 1790 he left North Bradley Parish in charge of a curate, which was not unusual in those days.

In 1808 he founded the Daubeny Almshouse for four poor inhabitants of North Bradley and also built a school, both at his own expense. In addition to the persons living in the Almshouse the building included a Reading Room on the ground floor and a Parish Room on the first floor. In 1909 the West Wilts Directory states that the Reading Room was open on week days from 1 pm to 2 pm and from 6pm to 9.30 pm. The Secretary and Treasurer was Mr. T.E. Hobbs who was a well known figure in the village. The Reading Room and Parish Room were also used for various church activities including Sunday School, Bible Study, Mothers Meeting & Choir Practice. The Scouts and Guides also used both rooms.

In the early 1960s the building was in a state of disrepair and was converted into six flats and on 15 July 1969 it was dedicated and formally opened by the Lord Bishop of ~Salisbury, the Right Reverend Joseph Fison.

The flats are still occupied by persons over sixty years of age from North Bradley and surrounding area, selected by the Trustees. The building is well maintained and continues the good work started by Reverend Charles Daubeny.

The Almshouse is regulated by a scheme approved by the Charity Commissions and is managed by seven Trustees, one of whom is the Vicar of North Bradley, x-officio. A Clerk appointed by the Trustees deals with the dad to day running of the Almshouse and maintains contact with the residents.

The Daubeny Almshouse was founded in 1808 by Charles Daubeny. It is
situated on Southwick Road, North Bradley facing the Common. Archdeacon
Charles Daubeny was born in 1745 and died in 1827. He was the second
son of George Daubeny. Charles was educated at Winchester and became
head boy at eighteen and in due course becoming a Fellow. He was made a
Deacon in 1773 and was inducted to the College living of North Bradley.

North Bradley at that time was in a state of neglect and he set about his
pastoral duties with vigour by restoring the church and rebuilding the Vicarage
from his own money and raised the living to £180 per annum. His rigid
orthodox principles and dislike of dissidence made him unpopular for a time.
In 1784 he was made Prebendary of the Minor Pars Altaris in Salisbury
Cathedral and in 1790 he left North Bradley Parish in charge of a curate,
which was not unusual in those days.

In 1808 he founded the Daubeny Almshouse for four poor inhabitants of North
Bradley and also built a school, both at his own expense. In addition to the
persons living in the Almshouse the building included a Reading Room on
the ground floor and a Parish Room on the first floor. In 1909 the West Wilts
Directory states that the Reading Room was open on week days from 1 pm
to 2 pm and from 6pm to 9.30 pm. The Secretary and Treasurer was Mr. T.E.
Hobbs who was a well known figure in the village. The Reading Room and
Parish Room were also used for various church activities including Sunday
School, Bible Study, Mothers Meeting & Choir Practice. The Scouts and
Guides also used both rooms.

In the early 1960s the building was in a state of disrepair and was converted
into six flats and on 15 July 1969 it was dedicated and formally opened by the
Lord Bishop of ~Salisbury, the Right Reverend Joseph Fison.

The flats are still occupied by persons over sixty years of age from North
Bradley and surrounding area, selected by the Trustees. The building is
well maintained and continues the good work started by Reverend Charles
Daubeny.

The Almshouse is regulated by a scheme approved by the Charity
Commissions and is managed by seven Trustees, one of whom is the Vicar of
North Bradley, x-officio. A Clerk appointed by the Trustees deals with the dad
to day running of the Almshouse and maintains contact with the residents.